Friday, February 28, 2014

TV


Batman, the Animated Series was my childhood show.  Anyone who reflects on their childhood show knows the emotions it causes.  It's thrilling!  Knowing how I felt during these moments makes me not want to rob my kids of the exhilarating feelings that come from engaging in a surreal TV show.  Those shows made life fascinating and there was so much to be discovered--feelings I cherish.  When I was in 4th grade I remember that immediately after school I would hurry home to make it just in time for Batman to start.  I was captivated.  Every kid needs a hero that becomes someone that they want to be like--a symbol for strength and something that can signify their potential.  This is what Batman was for me.

As I got older my all-time favorite TV show was (and still is) The Wonder Years.  Kevin Arnold just has it together.  This kid is so composed and hilarious.  His best friend, Paul, and he are just trying to figure life out.  The values in the show are totally family-oriented.  Watching the Wonder Years is so fun because I get to re-experience my Jr. high years.  I have regularly watched reruns of the Wonder Years with my family and my friends.  One wonderful thing about the Wonder Years is that it is character-building.  One episode Kevin's mom and dad are arguing the whole episode.  The very end the tension has built up around Kevin's house with all his family, that we're all waiting for some type of resolution has to occur.  It is hard to explain how touching the ending is as Kevin's mom burns her hand and Kevin's dad comes up to her and breaking all the tension and tenderly asks, "did you burn yourself?" and he continues to hug her with all the kids sitting there watching the whole scene.  Kevin says, "I've never seen my parents alone together," (even though the whole family was right there watching). 

The TV played a huge role in my survival of my first year of my career.  In 2011 I graduated college and immediately started my very first career job as a 5th grade teacher.  Anyone who has been a first year teacher knows how highly stressful that can be.  I was very ambitious that year and spent lots of time thinking about anything and everything that would make my classroom better for my students.  One of the central things that kept me alive during that year was TV.  I've never been a believer in watching TV hours on end.  It can really drain all your life out of you.  But TV can be very good for someone who needs to relax.  This is exactly what can be done if a person watches with moderation.  For me, getting out of teacher-mode was vital.  Teaching was a heavy load for me to carry and sitting down for one to two episodes of a happy TV show was very helpful in keeping my spirits high.  TV alone wasn't what kept me strong-- helping coach the high school tennis team, eating well, and getting exercise all contributed to me surviving and being highly successful my first year of teaching.  TV no doubt had a powerful, positive impact on keeping me laughing and being able to get back to work the next day. 

For anyone TV can be beneficial in some way.  My brother-in-law loves baseball.  One of my closest friends and mentors watches the news every day.  There is much good that can be found in it if you find what is just right for you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment